Being in college is quite different from being a high school student. You now have more freedom but it does not mean that you can do whatever you like. If you make your professors totally dislike you, you will have huge problems completing your courses. Here are 7 things that college professors consider quite unacceptable and drive them totally crazy.
- Failing to follow the guidelines. If you have made bad impression to your professors because of not keeping the rules, this mightlead to lower grades. Your professors deserve your respect. But if you do not know that feeling at all, then at least try to hide this.You should not play on your phone or laptop while your professor is You are actually supposed to take notes and participate in discussions. But if you are not, at least do not show obviously that you are bored. Turn off your phone or at least the ringer and the other sounds. You would better leave your phone away from you. Do not text or answer calls while you are in class. If there is an emergency, leave the class room.
- Do not complain to the professor that you are too busy to cope with your academic tasks. Everyone is busy but when you are in college, you are supposed to organize your time well enough to cope with everything.
- Make sure that you have some computer literacy. At least you should know how to attach a file and write an e-mail.Most American colleges require from their students to use an online system. This is usually the way to check the campus email and to mail files to professors.
- Stay informed.You are the one who should find all the information you need and ask for help if you cannot cope. Do not expect the professor to show you how to see the comments on a document or to remind you about a deadline. Always read your syllabus and consult with your classmates if necessary.
- Do not be lazy or uninterested.When you are given the chance to do another draft or lab, you should take it. Also, be sure to visit your professor during office hours. This will be especially useful if you later decide to ask this professor for a recommendation. When you show your efforts during the class and after it, this will let the professor know that you care about the class.
- Coming late to class, especially if you are more than 10 minutes late.You are now a grown-up and you are supposed to be able to organize your time. If you are terribly late, you should better stay out of the class this time. Also, do not go after the class to ask the professor what you have Your classmates may give you this information, ask them.
- Do not forget to put your name on your assignments.Guessing whose assignment it is might be quite annoying for the professors, especially if more than one person forgot to write his or her name.
When you are in college, you have to start acting like an adult. Respect people around you, especially your teachers, and make sure to be organized and to follow the rules.